Monday, September 6, 2010

DANIEL PINK

Daniel Pink

According to Daniel Pink, there is a mismatch between what science knows and what business does in terms of what motivates people. Corporate and institutional thinking is out of sync with scientific findings that prove people are not motivated by extrinsic rewards unless the goals are very narrow and simple. Pink believes that true creativity does not lie in this approach to motivation. True creativity only occurs when activities have intrinsic value to individuals. The outcome must matter in some way. Perhaps people like it, they find the activity interesting or it is part of something deemed to be important.

Previous thinking on motivation was more about a system of reward and punishment. My husband reminded me that there is a long-held belief that the only true motivator is the threat of punishment. He referred to his time as an unwilling draftee into the United States military many decades ago.

Everyone had the same short haircut, wore identical clothes, ate the same food, received the same pay, to mention a few examples of the loss of individuality. Some might view this as a positive experiment in egalitarianism. My husband assured me it was not. There was no carrot offered, or even conceptualized. But there was a stick in the form of a top-down chain-of-command that squelched discontent and propagated the ugliness of totalitarianism. This was not the time or place for my husband to “question authority.” It was well understood that creative thinking was not encouraged; in fact, the opposite was true.

The carrot and stick seems to be an improvement over the military’s no carrot approach. But Pink is correct in asserting that carrot-stick mentality cannot work in the realm of higher thinking. True creativity requires autonomy, and there must be intrinsic value to motivate us to stretch and reach.

As a teacher, I am fortunate to have the opportunity to employ a certain amount of autonomy in my classroom. I can invent and reinvent my approach based on my students’ response to material presented. The students have a sense of satisfaction when they are engaged. This in turn satisfies the teacher. The motivation is reciprocal.

Pink believes that “traditional notions of management are okay if you want compliance. But if you want engagement, self-direction works best.” In terms of education, when the teacher is receptive to what drives the students and the students are afforded some autonomy, higher learning can take place.

3 comments:

  1. The Military is like a team though so I would think that their motivation would be to survive and victory. Performing to not get punished is totally different and since it's the military, there wasn't much room for error (I have no military experience). At the same time, if your trying to survive a certain situation and needed to be creative and on the spot, then I think you would do what you got to do.

    I also go through autonomy. It helps me with my class because since technology is dictating what I teach (DJing) I have to keep up and stay sharp because my students know more than I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you keep saying that Mr. Pink believes this and that, and one of the first thing he said is that his presentation was about a fact, a true fact as they say in the DC. This is one of the things that make this lecture so interesting for me; that it's not just one new opinion but a rigorous, scientific presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I agree with your views on experiencing motivation and the gift of creativity in your teaching. Pink reminds us that motivation is the fundamental basis for learning - our challenge therefore is to discover how to capture this motivational theory in our own instructional design. I keep thinking of your reflection of Pausch "Go where they live - not where you live." How do we as curriculum designers refine our instructional strategy to ensure that our students develop the "drive" to learn?

    ReplyDelete